Shop Rum Online in Hong Kong Conveniently at the best prices
Shop online for rum – a drink that is at the heart of countless popular cocktails and is one of the most adaptable spirits in the world! The kaleidoscopic art of rum styles ranging from the Caribbean, Central America and South America is rich and fabulous! From light, fresh and grassy to tropical, fruity and spicy to rich and treacly, we have a diverse range available.
All About Rum:
“WHY IS THE RUM ALWAYS GONE!?!” – Jack Sparrow, Pirates of The Caribbean movies.
Keeping aside the frequent grumblings of Jack Sparrow about the absence of rum, there is something about rum and its subtle association with a tropical water body. Rum can make a pirate out of anyone or a philosopher out of a sinner who enjoys rum’s many cocktail infusions!
It is recommended that you hit the beach with a drink in hand, whether it is neat or one of its many cocktails, it’s all up to you!
This sweet alcoholic beverage has become the favorite of people in all cultures, many of whom seek out as many varieties as possible to expand their palates. In fact, rum has been so popular over the years that, in some parts of the world, it was used as currency.
HISTORY OF RUM
Creation of fermented drinks, produced from sugarcane juice, is believed to have first occurred in ancient India or China and spread from there. An example of early drink, called brum, was produced by Malay people. It dates back to thousands of years ago.
It is said that Marco Polo also recorded a 14th century account of a very good wine of sugar that was offered to him in what is modern day Iran.
In 17th century, the first distillation of rum took place on the sugarcane plantations of the Caribbean islands. The slaves working there discovered that molasses, which is a by-product of sugar refining process, fermented into alcohol. This alcoholic by-products, when distilled, concentrated the alcohol and removed impurities, resulting in the first true rums.
HOW IS IT MADE?
In a true testament to its origins, rum isn't subject to regulations like bourbon is. Rum is distilled in numerous ways, so you'll want to try as many varieties as possible to find the ideal complement for your tastes.
Rum is a distilled alcoholic drink made by fermenting and then distilling sugarcane molasses or sugarcane juice. The distillate, a clear liquid, is usually aged in oak barrels. Most rums are produced in Caribbean and American countries, but also in other sugar producing countries, such as the Philippines and India.
TYPES OF RUM AND COCKTAILS
Many rums are actually drier than sweet, due to their varied ways or preparation. Here is some of the popular rum types:
- White Rum: A clear, light bodied, though often aged very briefly and filtered.
- Gold Rum: More complex than white rums due to aging in oak barrels, it is still good for cocktails as it is not yet extremely complex.
- Dark Rum: Aged for longer periods of time, with darker, fuller flavor profiles, good for sipping solo.
- Demerara Rum: While many rums are made from sugar cane grown in Brazil, Demerara is made from cane grown in Guyana, with long aging and a rich, dark flavor profile similar to Jamaican rum; distilled using old stills, thought to be indicative of how rum used to taste.
- Spiced Rum: A distilled rum that’s been flavored with spices, usually raising the impression of spice through barrel-aging.
- Rhum Agricole: It is made with sugar cane juice instead of molasses, so terroir (i.e. where the sugar cane was grown) is an important factor. It can be white, gold, dark, etc. with flavors that incorporate vegetal notes into the complex rum backdrop.
- Naval/Overproof: Refers to any rum that’s higher alcohol (50 to 60% and above)
Rum is a great mixer. Usually, lighter rums are used to make cocktails, but you can go for mixing golden or dark rums if it appeals to your palate.
Mix up a Cuba Libre, Daiquiri, Mojito, Pina Colada or Rum Punch. You may choose to mix it with coke, Dr. Pepper or even root beer to enhance the experience as carbonation gives the drink an extra punch.
HOW TO DRINK RUM?
A true connoisseur drinks rum neat or on the rocks. To appreciate its aroma while sipping, it should be served in a lowball glass. You’ll want to appreciate the varied notes in the liquor.
As cocktails are the rage, rum has also become a subject of much experimentation. Flavoring it with mango, orange, lime or coconut (any fruit you may find on a Caribbean beach), simply makes it more exquisite to savor.
Need to order an online rum delivery at your address? Browse through our collection and buy rum online from the comfort of your home. We ensure a prompt online rum delivery service at your doorstep.
So, don’t let your glasses wait for the Bacardi and Malibu. Order Now!
You may also want to check other Spirits we offer:
Whisky | Vodka | Tequila | Gin | Cognac